Thursday, June 2, 2016

Unconventional Material Challenge

Unconventional Material Challenge


The material I was assigned was square tiles. After running through a number of ideas I decided I would make a mosaic out of tiles.There was not an abundance of colorful tiles but I had enough blues, blacks, tans and greens to piece together desert scene. First thing I did was smash a bunch of each color tile into a bunch of smaller pieces using a hammer. Then I cut a thin piece of wood into a rectangle so I had something to glue the tile pieces to. Now I am still in the process of fitting together each tile and it's taking way longer than I expected. I think the reason I'm still not finished is because I'm a perfectionist so I'm making sure each tile fits perfectly before I glue it down. Also, I made the tiles super small so it's taking a lot longer to cover up the wood. If I were to do this over I would smash the tiles but prevent them from flying everywhere and keep them in a square so I can glue the smashed square on and the tiles will all fit together perfectly. Even though this project has tested my patience I think it will look really cool and abstract when it's finished.





No comments:

Post a Comment